Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why Moms Are Always Right

THIS IS AS TMI AS TMI GETS...YOU WERE WARNED.


I haven't publicly shared a whole lot about my pregnancy, so since I'm just about half way into it, I thought this would be a good time to start. 


I hit a wall back in November and December, and I thought that I was just really, really tired from work and all of the parties Cory and I were going to. It seemed like we had something to do every weekend, and I just couldn't keep up. I went up to visit Cory and his family in Manteca the day after Thanksgiving, and I remember how horrible it felt to wake up at 5:00 am. I dragged myself to the airport, slept a little on the plane, and was so excited to see him when I got up there. It was our 6-month anniversary, and he picked me up from the airport with a rose, chocolates, and a card. Could he be any sweeter? 


We had breakfast with a friend of mine from the credential program in Sacramento. I was so sad when she moved away, and it was really nice to spend time with her and her family. We then drove back to Manteca to spend some time at his brother's house. I don't remember anything between the car ride and checking in to our hotel room because I couldn't stop thinking about taking a nap. After we both woke up, we met back at the house and headed out for some tubing. We had a blast!


I fell asleep at the dinner table that night at some embarrassingly early hour like 9:00 pm. I couldn't get enough sleep that night. Ashley made some off-the-cuff comment about me being pregnant to which I laughed. We drove back down the next day. That week at work, Cory found out that one of his coworkers was pregnant, and he was so excited. He told her that we thought we were in the same position, but that it was too early to tell. 


A couple of weeks later, we had our "Friends Christmas" party at Dominique's house. The plan was to eat dinner together and then go out dancing in Downtown Fullerton, The problem with that was all of the pasta we consumed. Everyone was in a food coma, and we really didn't want to do anything but sleep. That worked out just fine for me! We decided to stay in instead, so naturally the girls ended up inside and the boys outside. At one point, us girls were talking about something really inappropriate, and wouldn't that just be the time that Cory walked through the doors. We immediately stopped talking and started giggling. Cory looked at all of us and said, "What? Did Kristen tell you she's pregnant?" Then everyone looked at ME! I took a sip of wine, assured them all that I was not, and continued fantasizing about going to sleep.


I went Christmas shopping with my mom that Sunday, and I remember having to drag myself around the mall. When I slept for over 11 hours that night, I woke up on Monday and I just knew that I couldn't wait anymore. Cory asked why I was so tired, to which I replied, "Because I'm carrying your child, THAT'S why." I definitely needed to know now. I went on a scavenger hunt that morning, in flip flops and velour in the pouring rain, and tried to find a grocery store that had tests that were not locked in a cabinet. Finally, at the third store, I found some. I also grabbed a bunch of frozen dinners and tried to find the least nosy-looking checker I could find. No small talk, in and out (so not like me). I dropped 2 of the frozen dinners running back out to the car sans umbrella, and I'm pretty sure I didn't stop to pick them up. It was so Cinderella.


I downed a bottle of water, did the deed, and waited. Something in the universe slowed way the hell down, and it was like the longest 2 minutes in recorded history. I'm surprised you didn't read about it on Google or hear about it on 60 minutes; the universe literally froze. I saw 2 faint lines, freaked the %&(# out, and paced around the apartment by myself yelling more 4-letter words. The big man upstairs obviously heard all of our jokes about making babies and decided enough was enough. I called Cory and then got in the shower. I knew I had to shower eventually that day, so that's the only thing that made sense to do, duh. Cory got off of his conference call, came over, and saw the 2 lines. "Babe, this is so exciting," he whispered to me. I was less than thrilled because I was still in shock. Damn that Spaghettini and their wine and their r&b music! I don't remember the date, but it was the same day that Starbucks was selling their coffee tumblers that gave you free coffee for the month of January. Sorry Cory and Selena, that's why you didn't get one from me. I tried going on Tuesday, but they weren't having that.


Cory gave me 2 days to figure out what we were going to do, how we were going to tell people, and what our plan was going to be. We talked a LOT those next few days. We were having a Christmas dinner that Friday with our parents, the Peters family Christmas that Saturday, and the Burns family Christmas that Sunday. We were going on a cruise for Cory's 30th birthday over New Years, so we knew that 1) we couldn't keep the secret for long because I'm not one to pass up a glass of wine, and 2) we had opportunities to share the good news with lots of people all at once. We told our parents that Wednesday so that they could have 2 days to mull it over before we all got together. We told the Peters family at dinner on Saturday, and we told the Burns family before dinner on Sunday. We also told friends once we confirmed it with the doctor that following Monday, and then the word was out. I waited a bit longer to tell people from work because we wanted to be sure that nothing happened first.


I slept for about 4 days over Christmas because my parents got an amazing new mattress and I didn't want to get up. The cruise over New Years was exhausting, and I found myself falling asleep at the comedy club. Who does that? The first time I threw up was when we were looking for wedding venues, and all I could eat during the first trimester was fruit, fruit snacks, pretzels, and milk. I cried a lot for no reason. We found out we were having a girl Friday, March 9th (I was so convinced that it was a girl that the day before the ultrasound, I told my office manager/other mom/best neighbor ever that I couldn't even imagine it being a boy). I finally felt her move Friday, March 16th after 2 square pizzas from the cafeteria and a sugar cookie. And while going through a bunch of my old baby stuff with my mom the weekend before the wedding, we found my mom and grandma's wedding predictions written on the bag. My grandmother predicted that I'd get married a long time ago (so long ago that I don't even remember), and my mom predicted that I'd get married in 2012...moms are always right! I knew that also as soon as I met Cory (more on our beginnings in another post).


I never took pictures of myself because I rarely looked presentable enough to take one. And for the past month or so, our livingroom (one of 2 mirrors in the whole house) has been so full of wedding messes that I haven't wanted to share it. I managed to take one the weekend before the wedding when I was about 19 weeks along:






More to come on where we are now tomorrow!


xoxo Kristen (yes, you get another trophy for reading this far)

3 comments:

  1. You're funny... this is not TMI at all! Just wait until after you have the baby... it will take TMI to a whole new level. :)

    Congrats on your little girl... girls are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heavens, I can only imagine. I'm an open book kind of person, so it's hard for me to keep things to myself. I am so excited about having a little girl...Cory thinks his life is over but I'm sure he'll come around. He will be the first man she falls in love with, and I can't wait for the day that she's daddy's little girl in his eyes. Your little girl, BTW, is sooooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you!

    There is a special bond between a father and his daughter. Once Cory holds that little girl, he will be completely smitten! It doesn't take long to become daddy's little girl. (I think men just get intimidated by the idea of having a girl because it's so unfamiliar.)

    ReplyDelete